We’ve setup a workflow rule to notify us every time our customer sends a reply to a ticket notification, but Autotask is sending us two notifications every time. Why?
When Email2AT Classic receives an email which includes a valid ticket number in the subject line, instead of creating a new ticket, a note is added to the existing ticket. Email2AT can also be configured to change the status of that existing ticket to something like “Customer Added Note” so that a workflow rule can be fired.
To accomplish this, Email2AT is performing two calls to the Autotask API (ATWS):
- Edit the ticket to the new status
- Add a new ticket note to the ticket
This means that any workflow rule which is designed to fire when the status is “Customer Added Note” will actually fire twice — once for each ATWS action above. If the Notification Template for your Workflow Rules include the fields Note Description or Note Title, these fields will only be available on the second ATWS call above. This means you’ll receive one notification that includes the contents of the note, and one that does not.
To workaround this issue, Email2AT can add notes via the Client Access Portal instead of ATWS. In this case, Autotask allows the ticket status to be edited at the same time that the note is added, which only fires a single notification. To complete this, please follow the steps below:
- Open a web browser, and navigate to our secure MSPintegrations Login Page here: https://secure.mspintegrations.com/auth/login
- Sign in using your existing Autotask credentials, and you will be taken to your account page.
- On the left-side menu, select the option for Inbound Addresses, found under the Email2AT heading.
- Select the appropriate inbound address, then click on the Ticket Notes tab.
- Locate the Create Notes Via box, and select Client Portal from the list of options.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page.